“In times of economic decline, recession or crisis, there are as many resources and as much desire for goods and services globally as in times of development or economic growth.” What changes is the investment confidence that leads to the undertaking of investment risk in developing businesses. Any economy based on the creation of an economic activity solely on the confidence of investors is doomed to suffer from the fluctuations of this confidence…The reconstituted cooperative model can be used in situations aimed at reforming the economy, because in such situations it is not possible to simply expect to revive investor confidence, but it is necessary to encourage self-help solutions and to encourage different stakeholder groups to undertake the duty to develop cooperative enterprises as a direct or indirect force for economic growth and social improvement”.
“THE INVESTIGATION OF COOPERATIVES-Businesses for the 21st Century” Engar Parnell
KAPA network was established in 2008 to answer the question:
“Why are cooperative enterprises in other countries considered successful and sustainable, but not in Greece?”
- Lack of cooperative education: The concept of cooperative education is an unknown concept in our country; in other countries it is the key to the creation and operation of successful and viable cooperative enterprises.
- Unsupportive legal framework: Cooperative Legislation is not fully in line with cooperative principles such as international treaties and agreements which our country has accepted.
- Inability to maintain independence: Cooperative enterprises are unable to maintain their autonomy and independence.
- Ignorance of dynamics: Insufficient promotion of the cooperative and social economy and their dynamics (production, creation, social cohesion).
Fields of Action
- Cooperative Education
- Cooperative Promotion
- Cooperative Legal Framework
Greek co-operative legislation as well as legislation in other countries (emphasis on the Spanish legislation), development and shaping of the cooperative and social economy, trends, historical path of cooperative economy in Greece and Europe.
Particular emphasis has been placed on developing collaborations with international organizations of the social economy. Our Cornerstone Partner is the “Cooperatives Europe» (Cooperatives Europe), but also other organizations such as the International Association of Workers and Services Cooperatives (CICOPA) and the ILO/Coop Cooperative Sector. In June 2016, KAPA Network became a member of the International Cooperative Alliance.
Participation in European development programs in the field of cooperative and social economy (CoopStarter, ICS-MEDcoop).
Best practices & networking
Searching for best social economy practices from around the world to exchange experiences, information and know-how.
- Translation of articles, periodicals, subtitling of relevant films.
- Organization of meetings and conferences to promote the cooperative and social economy.
- Promotion through the television, radio, internet, etc.
Collective decision making techniques (world café, open space, etc.), inclusive leadership (participative leadership).
Provision of consulting services to new and existing cooperative enterprises in accordance with internationally successful standards based on cooperative principles.
Development of cooperative enterprises in traditional sectors (agricultural, consumer, workers and emerging sectors (health-care, tourism, energy).
Co-operative training for the start-up of cooperative enterprises and the strengthening of existing cooperatives.
See the course Cooperative Education.